- Nonexempt (Hourly - Eligible for overtime)
- To perform general receptionist and clerical duties in order to facilitate efficient functioning of the nursing unit.
- To carry out patient care activities and related non-professional services in caring for personal needs and comforts of patients while working under supervision of registered nurse.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND SKILLS
- Answers phones and performs general administrative duties for the area as required.
- Orders supplies and equipment as needed. Orders charts and tests for patients as requested.
- Cleans and stocks supplies as needed in the area. Assists with filing, order entry, transcription, and copying as requested.
- Demonstrates the skills and judgment necessary to provide direct care to patients under the direct supervision of licensed personnel.
- Notifies appropriate areas of patient discharge or pending discharge.
- Set up patient room for admission (equipment and standard admission supplies).
- Orient patient to room (call light, TV, bathroom, etc.).
- Assist with preparation of collecting belonging, at admission, transfer and discharge.
- Assist or complete ADL's (bathing, shaving, brushing teeth, denture care, dressing and document in electronic medical record.
- Assist with ambulation and/or transfers to chair. Reposition bed-bound patients.
- Change linen per unit protocol or as needed when soiled.
- Assist with meal tray distribution. Set up meal trays and/or feed patients as needed.
- Obtain vital signs per unit protocol or as directed by RN and document in electronic medical record.
- Complete foley catheter care and/or perennial care per established standards and document in electronic medical record.
- Apply pulse oximetry, obtain periodic readings and document in electronic medical record. Reinforce use of incentive spirometer during hourly rounds.
- Report changes in patient status to RN.
- Apply electrodes for telemetry as directed by the RN.
- Complete point of care glucose testing.
- Monitor intake and output and document in the electronic medical record. Complete and document weight on admission. Complete and document weights as directed by the RN.
- Anti-embolic stocking application and/or sequential stocking application and care.
- Assist with care of the patient in restraints as directed by the RN.
- Arrives patient to the unit in the electronic medical record.
- Post mortem care.
- Perform receptionist and clerical duties that support the nursing staff, physicians and the nursing unit assigned. Transcribe orders, answer telephones and assist with admissions and discharges.
- Observe, monitor, identify significant rhythm changes and notify patient's nurse of the data. Record strips on patients each shift with significant changes.
- Operates order entry system.
- Facilitates groups and activities. Plans and implements both specialty groups and health teaching groups. Documents on patients progress in regard to group activities. Organizes age appropriate patient activities during otherwise un-programmed time, especially weekend time. Assists Activity Therapists, Social Workers and Nurses as directed.
- All other duties assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- One (1) year experience as Nursing Tech, Nursing Tech II or Nursing Tech III and cross trained in Patient Care Secretary or Monitor Tech, AND Psych Tech duties.
- Work experience may NOT substitute for minimum education requirement.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS / REGISTRATIONS
Job: Nursing Assistants and PCA
Primary Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Facility: Shelby Baptist Med Ctr
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.