The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Blank Children’s Hospital provides care for infants, children and adolescents with traumatic injuries, life-threatening illness or following major surgery in our Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. Our medical team provides around-the-clock care for our 12-bed unit. Our board-certified pediatric intensive care physicians and pediatric residents are supported by a team of intensive care nurses, respiratory therapists, pharmacists, physical therapists, child life specialists, and care management team members, all specializing in the care of children.
- Provides and coordinates nursing care to patients utilizing the nursing process.
- Completes documentation to assure an accurate record of patient’s care.
- Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgments, and maintains responsibility for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
- Collaborates with physicians and other professionals in planning and implementing care within hospital policy and legal limitations.
- Assesses needs of patients and families, provides appropriate teaching to facilitate discharge planning, and makes the necessary referrals to community agencies to provide continuity of care.
- Demonstrates professional development by keeping abreast of current nursing practice and healthcare trends.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or IA Board of Nursing approved nursing program. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is preferred.
Qualifications: Current active Iowa License to practice as a RN. 1-2 years of ICU or pediatric RN experience preferred.
Department of Labor Level III (Medium) Work. Candidates must successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment strength and agility test at Medium Level of Work.
***PLEASE NOTE: All newly licensed RNs with less than six months of RN experience and who are interested in this department or any other Acute RN role within UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, are encouraged and required to participate in the RN Residency program. Newly licensed nurses must apply for the Registered Nurse Residency position.