Under the general direction of the Director of Surgical Services and the supervising physician, provides direct patient care for patients undergoing surgery. Functioning in an expanded Perioperative role acts as a first or second assistant during surgical procedures under the supervision of the surgeon. Other direct care responsibilities include planning of patient care based on nursing process and collaboration with health care team members to ensure optimum delivery of quality patient care. May be required to function in a staff nurse capacity.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participates in the intra-operative phase of surgical intervention by providing direct assistance to the surgeon to ensure safe and therapeutically effective patient care.
* 2. In addition to other intra-operative nursing responsibilities, duties unique to the RN First Assist performed under the direct supervision of the surgeon may include:
* a. Tissue handling.
b. Providing exposure.
d. Using instruments.
e. Providing hemostasis.
f. Wound closure and application of surgical dressing.
3.Assesses the postoperative needs of the patient and provides care indicated according to surgeons' direction. Provides patient teaching as necessary.
* 4. May perform all duties and responsibilities of a Staff Nurse. Acts as a role model maintaining a professional demeanor at all times.
* 5. Applies principles of asepsis and infection control including recognition of safety hazards.
* 6. Demonstrates commitment to professional practice necessary for the management of patient care. Maintains commitment to professional growth and development.
* 7. Recognizes the importance of efficiency and cost effectiveness in providing services and supports the continuous effort to conserve resources while providing individual high quality services.
* 8. Demonstrates a commitment to the vision, mission, and goals of the Detroit Medical Center through application of continuous quality improvement.
* 9. Maintains accountability for identifying strengths and areas requiring improvement. Updates knowledge and skills required to perform the assigned responsibilities.
* 10. Maintains and provides documentation annually of mandatory Basic Life Support (BLS) competency
11. Demonstrates interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with physicians, other hospital associates, patients and families.
* The essential functions of this job include but are not limited to those marked with an asterisk.
1. Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
2. BSN preferred.
3. Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of Michigan.
4. Successful completion of RN First Assist course using curriculum of AORN.
5. Certification as a RN First Assistant (CRNFA) unless participating in AORN approved internship. Certification required within three years of starting internship.
6. Two or more years of recent scrub/circulator experience in a hospital OR setting.
7. Basic Life Support (BLS).
8. ACLS preferred.
Job: Surgical Services
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.